(Betula lenta - sweet birch)
Birch essential oil is not an easy find. True Birch is steam distilled totally from wild harvested birch. doTERRA was able to get a small allotment of Sweet Birch from Canada. The offering will be a limited time offer.
As many oilers are aware there is relatively little or no genuine sweet birch essential oil available right now. It used to be a significant industry in the USA and parts of Europe but over time the industry has slowly died out .
doTerra is now offering the only 100% pure Birch essential oil in the world. The primary constituent of this Birch oil is methyl salicyclate (Common Asprin) which comprises 99% of the oil and the many of trace components that contribute to the unique vibrant odor of true birch essential oil. This unique blend of components are what give this essential oil its unique efficacy in dealing with a number of health and wellness issues. The primary chemical in birch can produced synthetically for very little cost, and unfortunately, this synthetic imitation is part of what has forced Birch oil to fade from popularity. True oilers understand the importance of having natural, pure, potent essential oils with a full spectrum of constituents to make the essential oil most powerful.
Historically, Birch essential oil is used in massage oils for muscular aches and pains. The oil is naturally analgesic, increases urine flow, eases simple water retention. Used in massage it is invigorating, refreshing. It's aroma is similar to wintergreen - which also has a high level of the compound methyl salicyclate. Naturally this makes it a very effective oil for muscular ache relief.
It has also been used for arthritis, rheumatism, tendinitis, hypertension,and cramps. It is highly anti-inflammatory and is similar to cortisone especially in its benefits for bone, muscle and joint discomfort. It has also been useful in treating calcium deposits and bone spurs.
Birch essential oil has been effective for some with conditions like dermatitis and eczema, thinning hair, can also be great for psoriasis, gout, ulcers, broken or bruised bones. It is important to cleanse the liver often if using this oil for a prolonged time. Birch essential oil can reduce bladder and kidney discomfort during an infection. Birch essential oil and lemon essential oil together can drastically reduce kidney stone pain.
Full list of properties historically associated with Birch Essential oil:
Anti Depressant & Stimulant: Birch Oil is stimulant by nature. It stimulates nervous system, circulatory system, digestive system and the excretory system. It also stimulates the endocrinal glands resulting in more secretions of enzymes and hormones etc. This can play a beneficial role in diseases associated with improper secretion of hormones such as, diabetes, where the enhanced insulin production will help lower the blood sugar level.
* Analgesic & Anti Spasmodic: It is helpful in reducing pains of joints, muscles, headache, toothache etc. It is also anti spasmodic and relieves cramps.
* Anti Septic & Disinfectant: These are the two of the most important properties of Birch Oil. The components responsible for these properties are Salicylic Acid and Methyl Salicylate, two well known germicides and bactericides in the world of medicines. They protect the skin from bacterial and fungal infections.
* Anti Rheumatic & Anti Arthritic: Since it stimulates circulatory system and improves circulation, thus it is very helpful in giving relief in diseases associated with improper circulation such as edema (swelling), rheumatism, arthritis etc. The detoxifier property of Birch Oil also aids in this, as it removes toxins from the body which are the root causes of these circulatory diseases.
* Astringent & Tonic: For ages, Birch Oil has been in use as a skin toner. A regular external application (in low dosages) effectively reduces wrinkles and sagginess of the skin and the muscles. Its astringent property strengthens gums, hair and tightens muscles. Thus it makes you look younger and may help you get new girl friends even in your forties.
* Detoxifier & Depurative: Helps remove toxins like uric acid from blood through increased urination and perspiration (being diuretic and stimulant in nature) and thus purifies blood (depurative is an agent that purifies).
* Germicide & Insecticide: Birch Oil is an excellent germicide and insecticide, mainly due to presence of Salicylic Acid and Methyl Salicylate in it. These two components are excellent cures for eczema, ring worm and other skin diseases and infections. You might have seen medicinal preparations like lotions and creams for ring worm, eczema etc. containing these two components. So, Birch Oil is a natural source of these.
* Febrifuge: It helps reduce body temperature during fever by promoting perspiration. This also helps removal of the toxins from the body through sweat during fever, further improving the condition of the patient.
* Diuretic: It promotes urination. Betulenol and Betulene are the two components which are responsible for this property. Urination helps body in many ways. It helps losing weight, removal of toxins from the body, promotes digestion, cures infections in the urinary system, cleans the kidneys and lowers blood pressure too. Urination also helps prevent formation of the stones in the kidneys.
* Other Benefits: Used as a tonic, it gives feeling of strength, warmth and vitality. It is ideal for use in extremely cold climates.
doTerra's birch essential oil has been GC/MS Tested by a third party qualified lab and the batch has been found to be one of the purest most potent ever found.
If you are not a doTerra independent product consultant, or wish to purchase this product, please contact Wendy James @ 435-313-4212 or visit her site at: http://www.mydoterra.com/wendy/